The 3million Football Pools Winner
Media visit to Shawbridge- Monday 11th October 2010

  Britain's first ever 3million individual Pools winner has been
announced as Michael Elliott, 56, from Brechin in Scotland. In the
Pools' 87-year history, it is the largest pay-out to an individual
winner and came about courtesy of the Evo-Stik League who
provided three of the eight 2-2 draws.
  He chose ten selections from the Scottish, English and Spanish
leagues and eight came up as 2-2 draws. His record pay-out of
3,001,511 was sealed in Clitheroe's draw with AFC Fylde on
Tuesday 21st September.
  Mr. Elliott has AFC Fylde striker Matt Walwyn to thank for netting
two late goals in the final 10 minutes of the match.

Mr. Elliott said "I cannot believe it, it is a dream come true. To say this is a life-changing
experience would be the understatement of the year. I have played the Pools for many years
and have won three times before, although my biggest previous win was 32. We are still in a
state of shock and it's going to take a little time before everything finally sinks in."

Jon Sheehy, Director of The Football Pools, said "This is truly an historic moment for The
Football Pools in Britain. Indeed, 2010 is turning out to be a bumper year, having already
created millionaires north and south of the border. Our players have enjoyed some huge payouts

since we merged Littlewoods and Vernons in 2007 and opened up new channels of play. These
are incredibly exciting times for all of us connected with The Football Pools and to create a
triple millionaire really is fantastic. We are delighted for Michael."

Michael Elliott's winning selections were -

Saturday 18th September 2010
Airdrie 2 Peterhead 2 (Scottish League)
Berwick 2 Stranraer 2 (Scottish League)

Monday 20th September 2010
Deportivo La Coruna 2 Getafe 2 (La Liga)

Tuesday 21st September 2010
Darlington 2 Luton 2 (Blue Square)
Tamworth 2 Bath 2 (Blue Square)
Chasetown 2 Colwyn Bay 2 (Evo-Stik League)
Hucknall 2 Bradford PA 2 (Evo-Stik League)
Clitheroe 2 Fylde 2 (Evo-Stik League)

Here is our mini match report...

Clitheroe again had to settle for a share of the points after conceding late goals when they'd seemingly done enough to take all three points. Both sides created early chances in an even first half that ended goalless. The Blues took the lead in the 52nd minute when Mark Jackson's penalty kick bounced back off the crossbar and after a goalmouth melee the ball was driven home by Ashley Parillon. They doubled the lead in the 60th minute when Joe Roberts floated a long ball into the box and Tom Williams rose highest to glance a header past the visiting keeper. AFC Fylde were given a lifline in the 80th minute when slack play at the back led to them advancing and slotting the ball home and they equalised in the 85th minute to deny Clitheroe what would have been a valuable victory.

Team : Danny MacDonald, Chris Smalley, Craig Naylor, Jack Higgins, Kev Brown(c), Joe Roberts, Lydon Hodgkiss (Gavinlee Ellison), Ashley Parillon, Tom Williams, Mark Jackson (Alan Coar), Danny Williams (Louis Mayers). Subs - Alan Coar, Louis Mayers, Gavinlee Ellison. Not used - Jack Duggan, Ollie Devenney.

Thanks to Peter Ryan for the photographs.

> Back to home page -